Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shanta’s Farewell Poem at USIEF Mumbai – 11.09.2012




Dear all


USIEF Mumbai had planned my official farewell party on September 11 and our Executive Director Mr. Adam Grotsky had come from Delhi for the same. Like any other similar event, I knew that I will be called to make a speech, a response to the nice words that are normally said about the person then. I had lots to say, but the occasion did not warrant that. Also I was worried as to how much had to be said so that it was not long drawn .....(to bring out a yawn!) . When my turn came to address the colleagues who had gathered, I spoke for about 2-3 minutes and then read out the following poem.... Wish to share the same with you here. Please read on.... srk



Shanta’s Farewell Poem at USIEF Mumbai – 11.09.2012


In 1972 when my career blossomed
I was lucky to be trained and groomed
I had mentors - good friends who were ‘Educators’
Which confirmed, I was not doomed….

Dinoo Wadia taught me filing
Jennifer, how to communicate
From Quereshi, I learnt diplomacy
And from many - how to orate…

Dressing sense, from my family,
How to impress by your look
And follow up as a good human
Endear others by invisible hook…..

Age 60 might be really big
When it is seen in years
But 16 at heart is what I am
Even today - of life I have no fears

I loved the office I worked for
Be it now or in the past
Sixteen years at USIEF
Its memory will always last

During these lovely USIEF years
I’ve learnt and I’ve grown
I’ve met many students and scholars
Built many contacts, some well known

I thank my colleagues in Regions and Consulate
My friends, they will always be
And special thanks to the superiors
Starting with Mr. Adam Grotsky!!

THANK YOU!!!



© Shanta Ramakrishnan, Mumbai
September 11, 2012
=====================================

No comments: